Friday, February 20, 2015

This week's movie: The English Patient

I have been avoiding watching The English Patient for a long time now-- I knew it was this dramatic, tragic romance and I have a hard time with those considering how single I am.  BUT, last night, I decided I wanted to snuggle up and watch a movie so I pulled it up on Netflix and hit play without abandon.

And it...was...
INTENSE.
First of all, there was Juliette Binoche and her quiet, gentle, funny spirit.  

I learned after watching this that she won the award for Best Supporting Actress, and she definitely deserved it. 


 And then there was Colin Firth's gullible, reckless Geoffrey...
(Also, yes, Geoffrey!)


And, yes...who could forget the doomed romance between Almasy and Katherine?





And though the relationship had its bumps in the road, it was still swoon-worthy.  Ralph Fiennes was a total babe and Scott-Thomas was perfect as the strong, confident, and yet guilty Katherine, the wife of Geoffrey.   

The movie definitely had its tear-inducing moments, like the one above, which takes place after Kip, Hardy, David, and Hana find out the war is over and take the bedridden Almasy out on a stretcher and run him through the rain.  


The ending is hard to watch, and I'm certainly not going to spoil it for you if you haven't seen it already (don't be like me-- get to it!).  If you don't like sad endings, beware-- this one'll get you.  However the story is poetic and moving and each performance is Oscar-worthy in my book.

I definitely loved and recommend this movie, and if you're at all interested in desert exploration before WWII, look up the backstory on this film.  It's an interesting read.  

Happy watching!





No comments:

Post a Comment