Thursday, May 26, 2016

Updating Something Dumb and Old

'Dumb and old' is exactly what I'd describe this hutch before I painted it.  It was something an old roommate bought at a garage sale for $20-- it was an old, scratched oaky color with dull bronze handles, and we used it because we just needed something cheap and simple to hold up our TV.

After a year of dealing with its ugliness, another roommate and I painted it white and tried to distress it-- but we had no idea how to distress it.  The paint peeled and looked gross and we kind of just...dealt with how bad it looked.  Again.

Now, I'm moving into a new place all on my own. The hutch seems like it has so much useful space, so I'd hate to just throw it out or donate it when it could be such a good addition to my new home.

SO....I painted it!

I went through a lot of color options, including sage green, but eventually I realized how many freaking colors I have (or will have) in my kitchen (which is where I want to put it).  Whatever color I painted it needed to go with all of these colors...which includes two shades of green.  So sage was out.

I ended up going with white.  My dad encouraged me to go with enamel paint, since that's usually the best for furniture.  I was able to paint in the sunshine while listening to Aziz Ansari's Dangerously Delicious album and it was the best time ever.





This is how the hutch turned out:

But that wasn't enough to complete the vision.  

So I went to Hobby Lobby and realized they have a DOPE drawer pull collection.  So I bought a bunch!



Loved this pink-- it looked really French, especially next to the black and white checkered one. 

I almost grabbed a cow's head style knob, but it was a tad too country for me.  I needed something a little bit cheekier...hence, the dog.  That other knob served to tie in all the colors I'll have in my kitchen together really well while also toning down the overly French vibe since I want it to feel really eclectic. 

Hey, Dog. 

This-- I couldn't turn it down.  It is the best of all the knobs, it's such a cool color, and it's bigger than the rest so it really stands out on the dresser. 


And finally, this gorgeous gold one to make everything modern and a little more updated. 

I LOVE DIY projects and this one was no exception.  For one last update on this, I want to put something on the top of it-- when we put our TV on this so long ago, we were too impatient, didn't wait for the paint to dry, and scratched up the top.  Now, it's all lumpy, even after I sanded it down before I painted it (I'm obviously not good at sanding).  I want to put glass over the top, or maybe marble tile (if I can afford it).  We'll see what happens!

Let me know if you have any questions and please share your DIY experiences in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment